top of page

financial benefits

Paying For College

​A common means to save money while going to college is by staying local. This reduces the many expenses involved in having to move away from home.

Additionally, our students benefit from various types of financial aid provided by their university. Below you will find a variety of ways to help cover tuition expenses.

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

The application opens every October 1. No matter your income, we encourage you to complete the FAFSA as soon as it opens. Depending on the student’s needs, the funding received through FAFSA can cover part or all of the tuition for fall, winter, spring, and summer sessions. 

Apply to FAFSA >

Transfer Scholarships and Tuition Discounts

Many of our partner universities offer scholarships or tuition discounts for programs offered through University Center of Lake County. We encourage you to discuss your options with universities of interest. 

Students transferring from select community colleges will enjoy the benefits of the Guaranteed Transfer Admission Program which applies to several of our member universities. Students must meet with their academic advisor at their community college to ensure they are on track to meeting specific requirements.

External Scholarships

In addition to the scholarships offered by your selected university, the University Center has compiled a list of external scholarships for which you can apply. These scholarships are provided by organizations outside of the University Center. 

Prior Learning Assessments

Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) is the evaluation of learning that was gained outside of the classroom through formal or non-formal means, including workplace training, language fluency, professional certifications, volunteer service, civic activities, etc. With PLA, you can reduce the number of credits needed to complete your degree, and complete your degree at an accelerated rate. This means less time and money spent on completing your bachelor's degree.

Prior Learning Assessment enables you to potentially obtain college credit for your work experience via one of the following: completing a proficiency test (CLEP, DSST), submitting a portfolio highlighting work experience, or submitting a transcript of noncredit course completion and/or other. Our partner universities will be with you throughout the entire submission process to guide, support, and answer any questions you may have about PLA. This is an important conversation to have with the admissions advisor early in the search process.

bottom of page